It’s that time of year again, where we decorate for the holidays. We here at SERVPRO of Mt. Pleasant, love the lights. But, we always make sure to check for safety issues. We wanted to share some tips with our customers we found below:
Before Hanging Holiday Lights
There are several things you need to do to ensure that your Christmas lights are safe before you hang them up.
- Verify Proper Rating- Bargain lights aren't a good deal if they pose a fire hazard. Only use lights that have been tested and rated by Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) or Intertek (ETL Semko). Strings of lights that have a safety rating are clearly marked, both on the packaging and with labels attached to the electrical cords.
- Check for Fraying- When you remove your holiday lights from storage, check the cords to make sure they are not frayed or otherwise damaged. Hanging lights with damaged cords can lead to an electrical short. This can damage your other lights and holiday decorations, as well as potentially lead to a fire. If you discover damaged strings of lights, throw them away.
- Use as Directed- There is a big difference between indoor holiday lights and outdoor holiday lights. Before hanging lights, make sure that you are using the fixtures only in the environment in which they were designed to be used.
- Choose Locations Carefully- Avoid hanging holiday lights near any item that poses a potential fire hazard, such as candles, space heaters, fireplaces, etc. Make sure bulbs aren't too close to loose paper or any other flammable materials that present a safety hazard.
- Hang Carefully- Never use tacks, staples, or nails to hang up your holiday light display. Instead, use insulated holders designed especially for this purpose.
Please stay safe and enjoy the holidays! If you need us, we are here 24/7 for your emergency needs. Yes, even on the holidays.